Saturday, June 30, 2007

Lions and tigers and bears!

Actually, I'm afraid I missed the lion. Didn't see it at all. But in its place were elephants, monkeys, deer, birds...yep, I finally made it to the wildlife refuge.



The things I do to bring you people some pictures, it's insane. Caught the bus this morning with no problem and it dropped us (thankfully a French couple was also making the journey) probably 4 or 5 miles from the place. There were no tuk-tuks like Lonely Planet said. Just a couple moto drivers who spoke no English other than to say $6 each. Yeah, right. We started walking and they dropped it to $4 for all of three of us. They dropped us at the gates and then it was still quite a hike in, but we got some good quality exercise. It was also GREAT to get out of the city.

And the sanctuary itself was pretty cool. Once again, these are animals that have primarily been rescued from traffickers and poachers. As you can see from the pictures, there were a ton of different animals there. I've even left off many pics of smaller creatures. And most of the animals were within touching distance, or, as with the deer, you can actually wander through their pens. Even the tiger was within touching distance if you tried hard. I read the signs to learn about the harms that befall these animals in the wild, but I'm afraid my memory of the names of the creatures is quite lacking. And I tried to put labels with the pictures, but my blogging abilities are equally lacking I'm afraid. Sorry.
As we were leaving though it started POURING rain and we got thoroughly soaked, especially on the moto ride back to the road. Then we stood there in the rain for about 45 minutes waiting for the bus to come, but it all worked out just fine and I'm back safe and sound. Tomorrow I'm moving into another house, a woman from the GTZ office will be gone for 2 1/2 weeks and asked me to housesit and feed her cat. I'm kind of excited about having a kitty around, not quite Chey and Maggie, but something anyhow.




No comments: